President Claudia Roth
Follow us on Twitter
Like us on Facebook
Register to Vote
Volusia County Schools
Politicos on Parade program 2016
2016 LWVUS Convention: LWVVC sent two delegates to the June 2016 national LWV convention - Gwen Azama-Edwards and Suze Peace.
Education Studies:In May, members of LWVVC's Education Committee visited two Volusia County schools known for their work with the STEM subjects (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math): Edgewater Public School and Burns Science and Technology Charter School in Oak Hill. Faculty and administrators made them very welcome and responded to questions regarding their special educational focus. To read the committee's brief report on the visits, click here.
Observer Corps 2007. From left: Lois Filipic, Judy Moore, Claudia Roth, Maritza Patterson, Summer Clayton, Patricia Gadbaw. Sitting, Rosemarie Gore and Sandra Horikami.
- Committee in front of the welcome sign at the Burns Science and Technology Charter School in Oak Hill
- Committee with faculty.
- LWVVC Honored by BCU: The Women's Advisory Board of Bethune-Cookman University included the LWVVC in the group of 2016 honorees featured during its "Honoring Our Unsung Heros" banquet on Friday, April 22, 2016.
- Civil Justice: Photo 1: An attentive crowd attended our Hot Topics meeting at the New Smyrna Public Library on March 1st to hear William Van Norwick, Head of the Subcommittee on Access To and Delivery of Legal Services of the State Commission on Access to Civil Justice. He spoke on "Problems in the Civil Justice System for Citizens with Low, Moderate, and Middle Incomes" and a plan to provide necessary represention to the underserved. For more information on this commission, see http://www.flaccesstojustice.org/.
- Money in Politics: The League of Women Voters of Volusia County held a consensus meeting to discuss the Money in Politics Study January 9, 2016. This photo shows just a few of the approximately 40 members in attendance. Photo 1
- Hot Topics, January 5, 2016: "Gideon Turns 50 - as in Gideon v. Wainwright: History of the Public Defender’s Office" - James Purdy, Public Defender, Seventh Judicial Circuit.LWVVC members were joined by members of a senior class from New Smyrna Beach High School
- Member Social December 2, 2015: The LWVVC Board entertained LWVVC members at a holiday party for a chance to meet new members and renew earlier acquaintances. For 20 photographs taken by Board member Gwen Azama-Edwards, see: http://www.lwvvc.org/Archives/Photographs/2015-12.html
- "Money in Politics": On October 17th, LWVVC and AAUW members met for a joint lunch and program on "Money in Politics" at Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University. Many thanks to Carla Christianson and LWVVC's Money in Politics committee for organizing the informative panel discussion Saturday. Special thanks to our panelists: Dottie Lewis, Senator Evelyn Lynn, and County Chair Frank Bruno. We increased our membership at this meeting, and we helped guests to update voter registration addresses. Finally, thanks to our friends at AAUW for coordinating with Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University to provide the venue at their beautiful new Welcome Center and the delicious lunch.
- Voter Registration at Port Orange Family Days October 3, 2015 - LWVVC volunteers Suze Peace and Carla Christianson
- LWVVC Wine Night at Total Wine, August 26, 2015: LWVVC held its first Wine Night / Networking Event at Total Wine as an opportunity for members and possible new members to meet and to learn more about volunteer opportunities with LWVVC.
- Voter Registration at Bethune-Cookman University, National Voter Registration Day September 23, 2014, :
- LWVF Legislative Summit and Council in Tallahassee April, 2014: Pat Gadbaw and Gwen Azama-Edwards attended as LWVVC voting delegates:
- Annual Meeting, April 26, 2014: Members heard a very informative presentation on Women Environmentalists of Florida by Dr. Leslie Poole of Rollins College. At the business meeting members completing their Board terms were recognized and thanked: Dennis Clayton, Donna Jordan, and Ann Smith. The official change of officers is effective July 1st. In addition, Bylaws were amended, and the Program of Issues was reaffirmed. For more information on the meeting, see this 2014 Annual Meeting Booklet. These three new Board members here were elected: Elizabeth "Libby" Hilderbrandt, Donna Austin, and Suze Peace. For a photo of LWVVC incoming and continuing Board members and officers, click here.
- Social Studies Fair March 8, 2014: LWVVC was pleased to provide cash prizes for student exhibits at the Volusia County Social Studies Fair. This year the theme was RIGHTS AND RESPONSIBILITIES IN HISTORY, and our judges, Patricia Gadbaw and Carolyn West, focused on women and voting. Congratulations to our winners:
- Voter registration at the Daytona State College Flagler Campus, February 2014 :
Participants: Carolyn West (photographer) and Pat Gadbaw.
- LWVF Conference and Legislative Summit 2013: The League of Women Voters of Volusia County sent two representatives to Tallahassee for
Legislative Summit and for the LWVF convention April 10-13, 2013: President Patricia Gadbaw and Gwen Azama-Edwards, past LWVVC board member who was just elected once more
to the Board. Gwen took a number of photos, and we are pleased to present several of them on our website. For the full set, click here Individual photos are listed below:
Current Issues and Hot Topics
LWV of Florida
LWV of the U.S.
Like us on Facebook
Board Only Site