President Claudia Roth
Follow us on Twitter
Like us on Facebook
Register to Vote
Volusia County Schools
Politicos on Parade program 2016
LWVVC General Meetings
Per LWVVC bylaws, at least six meetings of the general membership are held each year. These feature speakers on topics of interest to LWVVC members, and the meetings are open to the public. As of the 2013/14 year, copies of the programs will be archived annually on this site. For programs and minutes of the Annual Meeting of the membership, see
- Report of the September 10, 2016 meeting: Sharon Crow (LWVVC member and lobbyist with the firm Byers-Crow) gave a brief power point tutorial about lobbying, and then the members discussed and decided on legislative priorities to send to LWVF. This report summarizes the meeting results.
- April 18, 2015 Program: "Upcoming Volusia County Charter Review" - Larry Arrington, Former Volusia County Manager, County Charter Expert & Author.
- March 21, 2015 Program: "Online Voter Registration & Voter Technology" - Ann McFall, Supervisor of Elections, Volusia County.
- February 14, 2015 Program: "Ms. Zeva Edmondson, Rape Crisis Services Director, Stewart-Marchman-Act"
- January 10, 2015 Program: "LWVVC Transportation Study: Consensus Meeting" - presented by LWVVC Transportation Committee: Dennis Clayton, Summer Clayton, Pat Drago, Pat Gadbaw(chair), Carl McCoy, Fred Peace, Suze Peace.
- November 22, 2014 Program: "Update on Health Care Enrollment Using the Federal Exchange" - presented by Ms. Lynn Hoganson, volunteer with the Navigator Program for the Health Planning Council of Northeast Florida.
- October 18, 2014: Joint Meeting with AAUW "Florida State Amendments" (no separate program)
- September 20, 2014 Program: "Meet the Volusia County School Board Candidates:" John Hill-District 1; Don Sarro-District 1; Linda Cuthbert-District 3; George Trovato-District 3.
March 22, 2014 Program: "Environmental Considerations in Transportation Planning
in Volusia County" . Special thanks to Pat Northey, Volusia County Council Member, and Lois Bollenback, Executive Director of Volusia Transportation Planning Organization, who spoke. This is part of LWVVC's continuing study of local transportation. Our speakers are shown here with program planner Pat Gadbaw and President Claudia Roth.
- February 15, 2014 Program: "Issues Contributing to the Problems in the Indian River Lagoon Program" - Speaker Troy Rice, Director of the Indian River Lagoon National Estuary Program. Mr. Rice generously shared with us a copy of his presentation slides which can be viewed here (large file).
- January 18, 2014: "Consensus Meeting on Volusia County Charter Schools"
- November 9, 2013: "PPACA Enrollment Update" and "PPACA Impact on Mental/Behavioral Health"
- October 19, 2013: "School Choice"
- September 28, 2013: "Thornby, Lessons for Natural Resources Advocacy"
- January 12, 2013: Incarceration in Florida: Dr. Risdon Slate, Professor of Criminology at Florida Southern College, spoke on
"The Need to Consider Alternatives to Incarceration." He agreed to share his slides with us, including some on incarceration of the mentally ill. To see his
PowerPoint presentation, click here.
- April 2011: Health Care in Volusia County: Dr. Bonnie Sorensen, Director of the Volusia County Health Department, spoke to the LWVVC about the status of health care in Volusia County. Dr. Sorensen has generously provided her presentation to LWVVC's website so others may view it here.
- November 14, 2009: 2009 Debate on the Hometown Democracy Amendment, # 4 - News-Journal article with photo.
- January 22, 2005: Civic Education: At the LWVVC meeting January 22, 2005, the subject for discussion was “Civic Education and the Role of the League of Women Voters”. For a brief description of this meeting, sources of information on civics education, and status of the bill to include middle school Social Studies as part of the Pupil Progression Plan, see this report.
Current Issues and Hot Topics
LWV of Florida
LWV of the U.S.
Like us on Facebook
Board Only Site